It’s that time of year, when the weather cools – just enough to warrant toasting and smothering your Woolworths Hot Cross Buns in buttery goodness…
This year, we’re looking to change our traditions ever-so-slightly, and try our hand at Jamie Oliver’s simple, yet tasty twist on the traditional Hot Cross Bun treat.
See below all you need to make the ultimate Hot Cross Bun Ice Cream Sandwich this Easter. For those of you who don’t favour this delicious bun, don’t fret – Woolworth’s have a range of Chocolate Chip Buns too.
- 4 Woolworths traditional Hot Cross Buns
- 4 tbls quality chocolate & hazelnut spread (our fav pick is Nutella)
- 50 grams of 70% dark chocolate
- 25g hazelnuts
- 4 scoops of quality vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Halve the hot cross buns horizontally and toast under the hot grill, cut-side up, for 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of chocolate and hazelnut spread onto the base of each cut and toasted bun.
- Top each bun bottom half with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and squash down with the top half.
- Break the chocolate into chunks and place in a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a pan of simmering water for 5 minutes, or until the chocolate has melted, stirring occasionally.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts.
- Drizzle desired amount of chocolate over the bun.
- Top with chopped hazelnuts and enjoy!
HINT: For an extra little crunch, lightly toast the chopped hazelnuts in the oven.